Thursday, July 06, 2006

Tour Fever

Two years ago at this time, I found myself unable to take Regis and Kelly anymore and started flipping around the tv dial. I found the Tour De France. I am no sports fanatic- I love the red sox and can watch a little football, if it's at a super bowl party. But something about the Tour caught my attention. I loved the commentators, who are all former competitive cyclists and know their stuff, but don’t talk above everyone’s head. In fact, one of the things that really made me fall in love with the Tour was that the commentators are teaching the whole time- they don’t talk down to the viewer, but they do teach little tidbits of information all the way through. I feel like I learn something every day that I watch, and as the information junkie that I am, I love that.
Visually, the Tour is so great too- especially on the days when teams ride together, taking turns up front and then falling back along the diagonal line of riders like a flock of geese, it’s a thing a of beauty. The riders are impressive, and speaking as someone who hasn’t been on my bike since we moved to the top of a small hill, I have immense respect for them.
Oooh and did I mention the crashes? AWESOME!!! And the scenery in France is amazing. The fans are unbelievably crazy, crushing in on the riders and slapping them as they go by, running alongside them and throwing water on them, it’s unreal.
OLN broadcasts the legs each day “live” in the morning from 8:30-11:30, then several times again throughout the day, with an edited version at night. Check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this would be a Youth Ministers version of being a "Biker Chick" huh?