Monday, July 24, 2006

And so it begins...

Saturday night my brother called from his 20th high school reunion. He’s a year older than me, which means MY 20th reunion is coming right up.
I went to my 5-year reunion, which was fun, but weird… no one had changed at all, and almost everyone was at exactly the same spot in their journeys- just graduated from college, not sure what we were going to do, where we were going. Some had boyfriends/girlfriends, some were married, and a few even had kids, but mostly we were all standing on the brink of a new world. There wasn’t much to tell, since most of our stories were the same.
When my tenth reunion came around, I skipped it. I was personally at another brink-point, and wasn’t feeling all that proud of what I was doing with my life. I don’t even exactly remember what I was doing with my life at the time, but I do remember that I had a bad boyfriend and wasn’t doing the job I wanted to be doing. I had no great stories to tell.
The thought of going to my 20th reunion has been on my mind lately- not like a constant worry but more like a mosquito that buzzes by my ear every once in a while. I’ve already started the process of losing some weight, and am trying to talk myself into thinking it’ll be a good time. This time, I’m happy with where I am in my life, and I have a trophy husband (and I mean that in every good way possible) to bring with me- at the very least he and I can sit in the corner and make fun of people if it’s not a good time, and he’ll make it fun.
My brother called to tell me he’d be calling back in twenty minutes with an old friend of mine on the line. She and I cheered together and I went to her wedding just after she graduated, and then lost touch. She was an absolute sweetheart and I really liked hanging out with her. When the phone rang later on that night, I kind of froze… this, you see, was the beginning of MY reunion experience. Here it comes, ready or not. (I was NOT.) I thought about pretending to be asleep. But Scott urged me on, and I got up to face my past.
Lonna is still a wicked sweetheart, and it was so nice to talk with her. It only lasted a few minutes and didn’t hurt a bit. I am glad I got up and answered that phone, and I feel just a bit encouraged about how this year will go now.
By the way, she told me that her son has just graduated from HIGH SCHOOL…. God, we’re old. I am interested to hear people’s stories, now that we’ve all actually begun to live.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great writing Margo! Thane just remembered how you and Scott gave him the green Christmas train last year and said "we must email them". And so I am.
ps: send more info about the class of 86!
love, sandi and thane

Anonymous said...

How brave of you to answer that phone! That Scott---he talks you into the darndest things, doesn't he?

Anonymous said...

I was a bit apprehensive about my 20th (just this past June), but went and had a great time. In fact, I wish it had lasted longer. I didn't realize I had forgotten about so many people that I really liked in HS, and it was good to see that they were doing well. It also didn't suck when so many people said, "You look exaclty the same." I've decided to believe them.