Thursday, July 13, 2006

Day 4

This institute is intense...by about 3:00 I feel saturated, as if I just won’t be able to process any more information. But, what we’re being taught is so inspiring, it’s hard not to be on-fire and excited to learn more and explore the possibilities. I feel like I have a lot to process. Tomorrow we wrap up and everyone heads back to his or her corner of the world, and I’ll miss our work and our week together. It has been very much like CLI without the icebreakers and games!
Today we heard the good news that one among us has been awarded, with her family, the title of National Soap Box Derby Family of the Year. ( http://www.levistrauss.com/News/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?pid=783 )
She and her family were kicked out of their home into a FEMA trailer by Katrina, and they are so thrilled to have been chosen. She was describing the SBD program in their community to me, today- about how it all got started from one charismatic guy who shared his vision, and who saw the strengths of her family and asked them to help. About how it has gathered the community together- it’s become a focus for kids and their families, who work together to do a good job on their cars, help each other out, celebrate with special rituals, involve everyone (including the kids in their community with special needs) and she talked about how proud she was of her son- that he has used his participation in it to draw attention and prayers to the victims of the storms in his area.
I couldn’t help but think while she was talking that she was describing a great Church community. The excitement she was showing about the derbies and their community is what I crave to hear and see in and about my parish. I’m blessed to be in a parish that is more than half-way there--- way ahead, spirit-wise, than any other parish I’ve worked for or belonged to. The last missing piece is the youth and I am champing at the bit to get to work on that.

No comments: