Monday, May 21, 2007

Confirmation

Last night was Confirmation at my parish- the third of three, as we Confirmed almost 200 kids this year. It was also, I realized, my 16th or 17th Confirmation as a youth minister. After 15 or so, running Confirmations became less anxiety-provoking and more joyful, for me. I know the drill, I know enough about the process that I can skip over the silly stuff (like making the candidates march in order of height, age, alphabet, or social security number...) and just focus (and hopefully help the candidates and sponsors focus) on the good stuff.
I love the Sacrament of Confirmation- it is the red-headed step-child of Sacraments. It has been given a nasty reputation, un-earned, and so much badness has been heaped upon it that many people have no idea what it really is. I love the job of teaching people the real meaning of the sacrament, of re-educating parishes as to what Confirmation is and isn't, I love the shock in people's faces when they hear the history of it. I know, it's a niche-joy, but it's mine.
Last night was my last Confirmation, at least for a while. In my new job, coordinating Confirmation won't be my job. So I tried to soak it all in last night. The nervousness of the kids, the excitement and pride of the parents, the great music, the pageantry. Even the homily was pretty great.
So here we go, on to the next adventure. I guess I never would have thought, when I started in YM, that I'd fall in love with this poor little Sacrament, and spend so much time fighting for its honor. I wonder what new love awaits me in the new job?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish we had the means to lure you to the south shore. It would be such a pleasure to have you share your love and passion with our parish. We could really use someone with enthusiasm and vision.

Sadly, with our financial state of affairs here and the fact that we can barely lure our own parishioners to come here, it will be amazing if WE continue to be here at all.

I hope that your current parish will realize what a significant loss they suffer with your leaving - like the disciples who didn't quite understand what they had until it was gone.