Sunday, June 11, 2006

who's the boss?

Scott and I like to take day trips and visit Catholic churches. For one reason,they always have clean bathrooms, and for another, we like to look at their bulletins/architecture/youth ministry offices/youth rooms...
Sometimes, we meet the people who work in these neat churches, and get to ask them questions about their Youth Ministries, parishes, etc. Scott used to introduce us by saying "we work for the Archdiocese of Boston". I would bristle when he said it, (even before THE SCANDAL)because to me, it sounded like we were pulling rank- elevating our own positions- we weren't mere Youth Ministers, parish workers, lowlifelowlevel grunt workers, we represented the RCAB.
When THE SCANDAL did come, it became a whole different issue- who would purposely admit to working for the RCAB, even if they did? We consciously changed our introductions to "we work in parishes as Youth Ministry coordinators".
The truth is, I'm not exactly sure who is my boss. My paycheck has the parish name printed on it, and is signed by my pastor. My parish is a part of the RCAB. But, am I?

No comments: