Saturday, June 24, 2006

NDC

I've just finished the online course I've been taking about the National Directory for Catechesis. That's the new doocument by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops about Faith Formation. It's a great document, and I'm glad I took the course, so as to force me to read it. I must confess that I didn't read it quest as assigned... some weeks I did answer the questions without reading the chapters, but I did go back to read it all.
The things I take away from my reading are that faith formation must be constant and purposeful- that every action we take as church should be seen through the filter of catechesis (teaching). I love the thought of that. Here's a takeaway quote from the document:
"Christs relationship with his disciples also reveals God's own methodology as the model for all catechetical methods. In a sign of basic human affirmation, Jesus chose his apostles; they did not choose him. He established a bond of friendship with them that was the context for his teaching. "I have called you friends," he said, "because I have told you everthing I have heard from my Father." He engaged them in lively conversations by asking them probing questions: "Who do people say that I am?" He gave them hope: when they saw him coming toward them on the water, he said "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid!" After he taught the crowds, he explained the meaning of his teaching to his disciples "in private". Jesus said to them "knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been granted to you..." He taught them how to pray. He sent them out as his apprentices on mission; he instructed them, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me." To sustain them on their mission, Jesus promised to send them the Spirit of Truth, who would lead the Apostles to all Truth."
Now that's a model for ministry.

No comments: