Tuesday, June 20, 2006

be here now

I left my retreat with an assignment, I believe. Well, two, really. One is "Be here now". That's an expression that's used often on retreats and wilderness experiences that is meant to focus people on being in the moment, instead of worrying about the future, or even about what will be happening next. When you spend your energy in fear of the future and what might happen, you tend to miss a lot of what's going on around you. I spend a lot of my energy wondering wondering worrying about just what God's plan is for me, where I'll be a year from now, what I'll be a year from now... my silent time with God this weekend (too short!) got me thinking it may be time to slow down and Be Here. Now.
The other assignment is about listening. I saw a Dharma and Greg episode once where Dharma was in a hospital chapel, talking to God. Her spirit-guide (read: dead native-american-indian guy) came to her and asked what she was doing. She said "I'm talking to God!" He said something like "Oh, God- the creator? Ruler of the Universe? Lord of all things? And you're doing all the talking?"
I talk at God alot- it probably sounds like "wah wah wah" to Him...and I'm not good at silence. I squirm and fidget a lot, and my mind goes in weird directions, anywhere but here/now... but I want to work on that. I'm going to try to put some silent time in my days this Summer. Maybe it'll catch on.
Shhhhhhh.....it's quiet time!

No comments: