Sunday, June 18, 2006

waiting for the brick

I just rolled in from the first (of many I hope!) Youth Ministers' retreat that I've attended in a loooooong time. (Not since Jim used to offer the YM's Ski Retreat... those days are sadly gone and sorely missed!) We stayed at a little piece of heaven called The Mellos, run by the Dumaine family, in Jacksonville VT. WELL worth the trip and the best place ever to have a retreat, summer or winter.
Our theme was "the still, small voice" and we used the scripture 1 Kings 19:8-13. It was so perfect to be way up there in God's country (literally)and, after seeing the majesty of the mountains and the beauty of nature all around us, to focus on listening to God's whisper to each of us.
I recalled a quote (I can't remember where I found it, years back.) It goes: "You can listen for the whisper or you can wait for the brick." Every time I happen upon that quote, I resolve to listen more closely to the whisper... and of course God knows to get His brick ready for throwing!
I'm thankful for the wonderful people in Youth Ministry in the Boston area, for my God-sent friends, for the great conversation we had around the campfire, and all the laughter we shared. Retreats always seem to come just at the right time. I'm ready to get back in the game again.

No comments: