Tuesday, January 23, 2007

ramblings from a tough week

Did I mention that I have started Spiritual Direction? I have my own Spiwitual Diwectow!! She's lovely, and I go far away to see her, and I'm really looking forward to this process with her and with God.
I've only met with her once, and about 10 minutes into our session, she blew my mind. I was telling her about decisions that I have to make, and how much I know my decisions will effect Scott, my friends and family, my Church, my kids... and how hard that makes deciding for me. She looked me square in the eye, and said, "Your decisions are between you and God. I see that you are trying to be responsible to the people in your life, but ultimately, God comes first."
Yikes. That hung in my head for the rest of the day but I didn't fully understand the magnitude of it until I was telling a friend about it that evening- he said "why is that so significant?" and I understood as I was explaining: it means that I can't use the people in my life as excuses not to do what God wants me to do.
In the past week I've been trying to sort out my work situation, which is currently fraught with strong tugs in opposite directions- really amazing things happening on the one hand, while really frustrating things are happening on the other. The question that rings in my mind is "who do I work for?" Is it the Church? Is it my pastor? Is it the people in my parish? Is it God? And then, you know, the answer to that question has some serious ramifications, doesn't it? Who do I look to for direction? And what if the direction from one of those categories is contrary to that of one of the other categories? I think the most important thing is to know the answer to that question- just who am I working for?
(I'm pretty sure it's God.)

No comments: