Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good bye Dunkin' Donuts at 108 Newbury St. Peabody MA...

... I'm breaking up with you.
I'm sorry to do this, because you, 108 Newbury, could have been perfect for me. Just far enough away from home that the toothpaste taste is gone, but close enough so I could have coffee for the trip to work. You're right on my way.
But the drive-through is slower than death, staffed with people who don't seem to speak or understand english, and who seem baffled by the cash register. I am not one of those people who hate people with accents, I don't want to scream "this is America, learn English!!!" into the speaker when I order, but I do think that to be qualified for the Dunkin' Donuts drive-through job, one should understand such english phrases as "iced coffee, cream, no sugar" and "multigrain bagel, not toasted, plain cream cheese."
The last time I tried this store, I went inside, hoping that would work better. I was given my coffee, and sent to the opening down the counter, where no one looked at me, or gave me a bagel. Finally a guy who was cleaning up the straws and napkins yelled at the woman who kept walking by me on the other side of the counter. He said "Mama! Say 'What you waiting for?'" and the woman turned to me and said "What you waiting for?" I gave her my order, again, and waited.
It was then that I swore that I'd never be back.
I had a weak moment the other day and swung into the parking lot- but the line was backed all the way around the building, and I didn't bother. Instead, I went to the nice new store at 7 Post Office Square in Lynnfield. There was no line in the drive through, the voice over the speaker was cheery, and when I got to the window, she gave me my order (correct) and a free bumper sticker!
So goodbye Peabody DuDo's and welcome to my life, Lynnfield DuDo's!! I think we're going to be very happy together.

2 comments:

Tim and Stefani said...

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! What you waiting for? Love it. Oh how I miss D&D's. I had my first real coffee there (not on Newbury...on Maine St. in Brunswick), in the middle of the night. We don't have those out west, sorry to say. You should feel blessed to have a choice of which one to go to! :)

Anonymous said...

I 400% respect your decision to change distributors. Not everyone is aware of what an important decision this is, but I totally support you and I would encourage others to enter into a discernement process about whether or not their Dn'D is really the best one for them. Well done you!