Tuesday, June 24, 2008

talky talky talky

I don't have a voice for yelling. I was a cheerleader in high school, but somehow, I lost that big voice I had on the basketball court sidelines. I wonder if I ever was that loud...?
Anyway, I'm no shrinking violet now but my voice does not carry. In Youth Ministry, I was never one to yell "QUIIIIETTTT!!!" and if I ever did need to get a group's attention, I'd usually turn to someone nearby and say "can you yell for me?"
Often, in groups, I will say something and realize that no one has heard what I said, or is even aware that I'm talking. I've been in groups where I've repeated myself several times and no one even notices me. Usually when that happens, I just give up the effort and move on. If I ever have anything really important for the group to know, I get myself heard- often what ends up lost is some funny quip or story that no one really needed to hear, anyway.
The older I get, the less I like talking- I love long silent days where I don't talk to anyone much at all, I hate talking on the phone. I like listening to people talk though- I listen to podcasts on my ipod, not music, and I listen to public radio all day at work. I like that listening to the radio means not having to hold up my side of the conversation. I'm an information junkie- I love to hear and learn and know things.
But while I'm not so much talky, boy-oh-boy I love to write. Sometimes I feel like I'll pop if I don't grab a pen and start writing. I'm so glad to be alive at a time when I can email instead of phone, text instead of call on the cell. I'm ever so glad I learned to type when I was in high school.
Just because my voice doesn't carry far, doesn't mean I don't have a lot to say.

No comments: