Tuesday, August 01, 2006

put out that light!!

It struck me recently that unlike what I've heard about World War II (which is a little more than a little- I’m by no means an expert but did catch my Dad’s interest in that time… he bought the Time-Life book series and I dug through it endlessly!), none of us here in the homeland seem to be suffering any discomfort at all for being at war (that is, unless we know someone directly involved). What I mean is, where are the scrap metal drives? Why aren’t we rationing gas?
A few months ago I drove past a house that had 6 giant blow-up and light-up displays for Easter. There were bunnies, and Winnie-the-Poohs, and other silly things. I said to myself, “Self” (I said), “what a waste of energy!!” It occurred to me that nobody seems to talk about how our use of energy and other resources has an effect on the Community around us. When did we stop talking about conserving, for the good of others?
I remember thinking in some idle moment long ago that if I were ever President of the USA, my first move would be to turn off that stupid fountain in front of the White House. (There is a fountain there, isn’t there Sue?) What a complete waste of water and energy. It kills me that people starve in their homes while we spend money to keep a fountain going. And even after reading Sue’s touching account of the monuments she saw in DC, I really do believe that every tragedy like 9/11 should be memorialized with a soup kitchen or a food pantry, or a daycare for poor families. I get that monuments are beautiful and stirring, but to me they’d make a lot more sense if they were productive. Imagine a soup kitchen at Ground Zero dedicated to the memories of those who died- a place where family members could come to serve those who suffer every day- now that’s love in action. That’s making something good out of a bad situation, and it makes a lot more sense to me.
Once everyone is fed and clothed and insured and cared for in this richest of nations, then we can spend money on things like fountains and granite monuments. (Okay, I’ll allow some granite at the soup kitchens.)
I know, I know, I can’t change the world and these are cockamamie ideas… Liberal, tree-hugging ideas, and I’m not living the austere life of one who gives all her extras to the poor. But I do think if we all did something…. Something… anything… we could probably make things better for everyone.

1 comment:

HerMajesty00 said...

Margo there were three widows from 9 11 who were devastated when their spouses were killed at the World Trade Center. They were all fairly well off and didnt want the money they received after their spouses horrific death.
So they took the money and went to Afghanistan and bought books and school supplies for the young girls who were attending school for the first time.
These widows wanted to give meaning to the senseless deaths and destruction. they all felt their spouses were active life affirming people. So they put the money into action and in the process helped their own aching hearts....