Sunday, August 27, 2006

new computer!!

So despite the fact that PC laptops are about 1/2 the cost of macs, and despite the fact that we arrive at payday regularly with about 2.50 in our bank account, we went out and bought a macbook. It's totally cool, of course, and since we are Catholic Educators with ID cards from the National Catholic Educators Association, we got a discount and a free (after rebate) nano ipod and a free (after rebate) color copier/printer/scanner.
Yesterday I spent most of the day on my rear end (it was MUCH needed) reading through and cleaning out my old emails, which were mir-maculously transferred, along with everything else, from my old computer to my new one when I brought it home. It was kind of weird; 1. to see which emails I didn't delete for some unknown reason... and 2. to relive my life of the past two years or so through the emails people have sent me. Congratulations on new jobs, sorrys to hear about your job changes, what's your new addresses, sorry's about your miscarriages. Meetings, parties, holidays, trips. Jokes, lots of jokes from my aunt, MMMM's, Bible Study night plans with the girlies. Such is my life, as seen through my inbox.
I heard a radio piece once about how computers were making changes in what people left behind when they die. What is to happen to all the information a person puts on their hard drive throughout their life? Where our grandparents left maybe a diary and a few pictures and some items grabbed by loved ones before the house was sold, this generation leaves every thought they've ever had, on some computer somewhere. EVERY picture they ever took, their blog or journal or myspace or facebook... what are we supposed to do with this stuff in the future? Will there be some kind of hard drive cemetary where we can deposit people's computers when they die, and go back to visit and see videos and pictures and financial records contained on them?
What a world, what a world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness---I need to revise my will! To whom shall I leave my hard drive?

Of Graveyards and Things said...

Macs are the way to go! All the cool kids have them... =)