Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I need a vacation... like nooooobody's business...

(does anyone remember that commercial? I can still hear the tune in my head.)
I am exhausted. This is my next-to-last week at my old job and that means the good-bye-ing has begun in earnest.
Tuesday night (a day that started with a gut-wrenching and vital session with my spir. director) was my last night at our youth group. We were celebrating senior week and the end of the year with a little party- we had pizza and a campfire- s'mores for everyone! (except me, because all thoughts of food just make me vomit.)
After the fire we went to the meeting room for our usual gathering, and I gave my last talk- a teary thing about, well, how much I value these kids and how much I will miss them. Then, they treated me to a dvd of a bunch of my kids, kind of like a wedding video- they sat and gave me messages of love and appreciation and how much they'll miss me. It was just absolutely wonderful. Afterward, those who didn't get to be in the video gave me love live. They presented me with a big pillow ( a tradition of mine that I brought to this parish, and which really "took"). The closing prayer was wonderful and we closed with hugs all around.
I felt satisfied- like I'd said what I could say, like I'd honored God in my going and in my good-bye-ing, and that my work there had been fruitful and will still bear fruit after I go.
I came home and threw up in my driveway and then for the rest of the evening...
I'm just wiped. This is the longest week ever.

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

Jesus came with a message.
He taught the message to others.
He taught them how to teach it to future others.
He had no intention of staying forever and teaching everybody.
He did his job, and handed it over to others - and then He left (and it was messy).

And He was loved and remembered.

You follow His footsteps well!

Congratulations for a good job done well!