Friday, November 10, 2006

Okay, so I only blog on Fridays.

Tonight I went to a Pampered Chef party in the town where I had my first Youth Ministry job. As I've probably said before here, leaving there was infinitely painful- like a sad, bitter divorce. I now see that it was time, and right, for me to leave there, but I still miss the feeling of being at-home that I really felt there, and the families I was so invested in back there and then.
So tonight at the party, I was startled to see a young lady walk in who had been through "my" Confirmation program back then, almost 8 years ago. Introductions were made and Scott, who was there with me, asked her "oh did you go to St. Paul's? Did you know Margo?" and she said "Margo was a big part of my life back then." She said it really off-handedly, no big deal, but my heart jumped. I couldn't remember her last name- what a nice thing to hear that she felt I'd made an impression on her so long ago. Such a nice, unexpected blessing.
I think one of the hardest things to come to grips with as a YM is how very few are the young people whom one can really effect- in the group of 34 kids per grade level that I had there, I only ever really felt like I got a chance to know very few of them, very well. I don't know how it's possible that I might have made an impact in this young woman's life, but it's nice to think I did.
Then we stopped at the local House O'Pizza to pick up lunch for Scott, who's away at a ropes course tomorrow and will be brown-bagging it. The guy at the counter said "Hey, I remember you, it's been a long time, you used to come in with the kids!" I felt like a minor celebrity. I know, it means nothing, but I really was touched to be recognized by a town guy... in the town I'd left behind. It was a little like coming home again.
Today's been full of blessings, gentle "random" nudges that I might not be wasting my time in this vocation. I'm thankful for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

one thing I've learned though my own experiences (and hearing others) is that you rarely know how you effect people at the time. Very often THEY do not know how you have effected them until much later. So don't expect that instant gratification feeling we too often look for - or you will be certainly disappointed. Have faith (faith - the belief of something you cannot see) that you have been a positive influence to more people than you can fathom. You were fortunate to get a quick glimpse at the tip of the iceberg. Most of us get hints but never a full picture (gee, kinda like Heaven. I bet Heaven will be full of people who touched your life, and of whom's lives you have touched).

Anonymous said...

You were in a pizza place with Scott and someone recognized you? That's big!