Tuesday, May 30, 2006

MMMM

For a while, before we started actually meeting in person to pray and study (we call it Girlie Bible Study, although we do a bunch of different things...) I would sent out little would-be homilies to my friends on Mondays. They were called Margo's Monday Ministry Moments, or MMMM. here's one:

When I was little, I went to Mass one Sunday as usual with my family, and after Mass we left, as usual, with the crowd out the side door of the church. I was probably three years old. This was the same thing that happened every week of my life. This particular Sunday, I was walking along, and without looking reached up to hold my father’s hand. But when I looked up, the hand I had grabbed wasn't my father’s- it was someone else. A stranger. He was as surprised as I was! I let out a yell, and my father took my hand and comforted me. He had been beside me the whole time, I had just grabbed at something without looking first.

That same thing has happened to me lots of times in my life- I have been wandering along, and reached out to grab the first thing I could to help me get to where I wanted or needed to go- but often, I would reach out without looking up- and many times, the things I’d grabbed were not my Father’s hand. Fortunately, every time I’ve realized I was holding on to the wrong thing, God has been right there, waiting to take my hand and walk with me.

Sometimes I forget that, and maybe you will too. But from now on, I wish for you to know that God’s hand is held out for you all the time, and when you reach out, even if you reach for the wrong thing, God will still be there waiting, arm outstretched, ready to comfort you. All you need to do is look up and you will find it there.

No comments: