Monday, May 29, 2006

For crying amen!

We're coming up on the end of First Communion season. I hope you have gotten to see a FC at some point in your lifetime. What's striking to me is how anxious and excited the kids are for their first experience of Eucharist. There is, I guess, something about having watched everyone else go up and receive, having to walk up with your Mom but not be given the Host or sitting in the pew waiting for everyone else to come back. It makes you want to be part of the in-crowd. The kids who show up on FC day in their finery and with all the pageantry of the occasion are so excited to receive.
How soon after that do we lose the excitement of being part of the club? when does it start to mean not-so-much to receive Communion?
I have been serving as a Eucharstic Minister a bunch lately, and it always stuns me when people step up and say "Amen" before I finish saying "Body of Christ". Usually they jump in unenthusiastically before I get to "Body". That's Amen, as in "I believe! I do believe!!" and "Body of Christ" as in... seriously, the BODY of CHRIST.
Once, at my former parish, we had a big-deal Mass with the new Bishop. In preparation for this special guest, they whipped together a choir, bought beautiful flowers, printed up programs so everyone could follow along, had greeters at the door, etc. etc. 'Cause we had a special guest. Jesus? Present in the Eucharist and the word and the people? Heavens, no- the Bishop!
if we reeeealllly believed what we teach, what would our church look like? What would be happening there every Sunday? How would the whole world change as a result?

No comments: