Tuesday, September 05, 2006

sacred space

Ohhh yeah, when I got to work today I had 34 messages on my machine, and the light was blinking "FULL"...."FULL"...."FULL"...."FULL"....
The phone rang pretty much constantly as soon as I set foot in the office- in fact, every time I tried to get the messages off the machine and into my notebook, someone would call and that would turn off the machine mid-message, and I'd have to start over again.
In the midst of it all were tons of kids visiting, the maintenance guys ripping up carpet in the dining room, parents coming by to pick up or drop off paperwork, and a 400 piece mailing. Oh and also two meetings.
About midday, I got a message from my dear, sweet friend who has just taken a job in the West region, who lovingly told me she has a whopping 84 kids from grades 8-10. Total.
I thought about putting my head down on my desk, but instead I dialed up Sacred Space (www.sacredspace.ie) and tried to focus. Sacred Space is a website run by the Jesuits in Ireland (which explains the .ie domain on the web site address) and it's a great place to turn in just such a state as I was in today. You click, and it helps you ease into prayer, and then you click and it gently guides you to open your heart to God. There's scripture, and help reflecting, and also at the bottom of every page there's little places you can click for even more help, if you're stuck.
Today Sacred Space helped me get grounded again, and reassured me that God's power can overcome my powerlessness, which was a message I sorely needed to be reminded of. Ahhhhh......

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Margo- I swear as we get more mature (I refuse to say older) we feel more anxiety, because we are more aware of how important "things" are. We want everything to turn out well and feel so responsible about making sure it does.
I also think that you suffer a little PTSD from your previous experience at a former Parish where your gifts were not appreciated or acknowledged.
I think your ability to see when you are sidetracked by stress and your turning to prayer (LOL I love the high tech. prayer of SacredSpace, made me laugh)is such a strength.
You work in a BIG Parish and you have BIG plans. You do have BIG pressures! But you also have big talent and big supportive friends, and a BIG GOD whose presence you are bringing to a whole bunch of kids. WOW>

pflan said...

You are one of the only people who can handle the mega ministry that you do - and I admire you greatly.

Incidentally - it is 84 total for grades 6 - 10 (not 8 - 10 as you stated)

Some of us do megastry others ministry - but it is all for the same God who answers our mega and mini requests.