Sunday, September 03, 2006

I made it!

Okay, attendance-takers out there, take ease. I did go to Mass. I split the difference and went to an evening Mass at a parish between here and His. His would be, it really would be, too much like work, too much like home, and sometimes I really do love the feeling of being one of the crowd at Mass. I didn't have to get up once, I didn't have to worry that the lector might forget to step forward for the POTF, I didn't have to help with the collection, I didn't have to be uber-friendly (although I was pretty friendly!) It was very nice.
I know Mass is communal prayer, but I have to admit, I like the feeling, every once in a while, of being a little anonymous. I did the whole bit, I kneeled/stood/sat when everyone else did, I sang out with all the songs, and followed along with the readings. I smiled and said "peace be with you" to everyone, and all that stuff. But I felt alone in the crowd, and I liked it.
There. I said it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - alone in the crowd. A trick I learned long ago (more like a survival skill in my case!). Many the night at our supper table when I'm suddenly brought to attention by Sue shouting "CAN'T ANYBODY TALK TO THEIR FATHER? I'M NOT THE ONLY PARENT HERE YA KNOW!". Of course the difference between your "alone in a crowd" and mine is that you were actively aware of your state-of-being at the time, where my version is to be simply oblivious to everything around me. But don't fret. Once upon a time I was only able you achieve the "alone & aware" level but have since become a Grand Master of all states of aloneness. In time, you too can learn to master the "True Bliss" state (or as is it often referred to as the "True Blauss" state)