Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Season

working on a lovely and deeply thoughtful blog post about Protestants and the "post-denominational age" but I'm in the "pre-writing" stage. So in the meantime, here's a few pics on my latest efforts as a Domestic Goddess.
I hate recipe sites that make you wade through a whole story about their food-emotion-associations before getting to the nitty gritty. But technically this isn't a recipe (and this sure isn't a recipe site) so settle in and enjoy my personal food-emotion-association story.
When I was a kid strawberry season was a big deal- once the strawberry stands started appearing on the sides of the roads, we knew what was for supper.
(Now, of course, we can have what you can only with finger quotes call "strawberries" from California, all year long, but noooo. Not the same. Noooooooo.)
My Dad always told us that his family had strawberry shortcake for dinner- not for dessert. And that's what we did, too- it felt so crazy to have it for dinner, but we never argued. My Dad's recipe for SS was to mash the strawberries with a glass, which is a wicked cool visual experience. He added sugar to the mash and we ate ours on biscuits with homemade whipped cream.
And here we get to my recipe: I chop the strawberries, because I like the chunks- in my "vidalia chopper," As Seen On TV. Then I soak them in some honey- OH God it's good that way. Not too sugary-sweet, and smooth and yummy. I make my biscuits from Bisquick, and sometimes I put white chocolate chips in the bisc's because they don't really taste like chocolate but give a little burst of sweetness with every couple of bites.
Homemade whipped cream is incredibly easy!! Who knew??
In all the excitement I forgot to take an "after" picture, but in all fairness, it didn't sit long enough to pose. Happy Strawberry season everyone!





























No comments: