Friday, June 11, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook

Simple Woman's Day Book
FOR TODAY 06/11/10...


Outside My Window...
it's gorgeous out there. I just went out to check the crops and weirdly, there's nothing to do. It's been raining for a couple of days, so the grass is growing and the raised bed is thriving- spinach, carrots, peas, and now sunflowers poking up. The pansies are gorgeous and the daylilies will be in bloom soon. All there is to do now is sit and wait and enjoy the beauty of it.
I am thinking... about our upcoming camping trip, one of my favorite weeks of the year. We have a new tent this year, don'tcha know, and it's AWESOME! I love love loved our old tent, but it was small, just big enough for our bed and a bag but no standing up, and barely even room to sit up, really- still, I am loyal to my old tent and thankful to have had it. But the new one. Wowsers!
I am thankful for... being able to afford to live in this beautiful apartment, to buy a great tent and go camping, for wonderful friends and family, for so so much.
From the kitchen... still, the smell of bacon from this morning, and the sound of Scott puttering around, up too late for breakfast but not really hungry for lunch. Tonight we're having some friends over for a fire, and I'm tickled to have plenty of food in the larder to share. I get a real kick out of having enough food for anyone who shows up at our house- it feels like such richness. I always wanted to be the house where everyone shows up and there's plenty for everyone. I toy with dreams of hosting an "anyone's invited" regular Thursday night dinner, where my friends from all parts of my life might show up and mix and mingle over my dining room table. Maybe someday. But for now, I love the feeling of being stocked up and ready to feed the troops, ready and open for business.
I am wearing... I changed from pajamas to pajama-like clothes; sweatpants and a t-shirt. I thought I'd be working outside but everything's kind of set out there, for now, so I'm back in my chair watching an old Jacques Cousteau film on TCM. I love this day!
I am creating... I have to admit, not a lot. I work best under deadline, and recently at work there have been very few deadlines- so I've been very under-productive. I'm trying to fill my time with reading up on all the catechetical journals that have stacked up on my desk over the years, so at least I'm doing work, even if it doesn't feel like hard work.
I am going... on vacation in a week and a half, with days off before camping to pack and organize and stock up on books and freeze water for the coolers, and gosh I'm excited!!! This trip, which began with a lot of YM friends joining us 8 or 9 years ago, has now turned into a Talbot family trip, with all my siblings in attendance for the first time this year. I can't frickin' wait!!!
I am reading... All those journals, like I mentioned- and on the extreme other end of the spectrum, I just finished "Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea." I have a Sarah Vowell book in the shoot, and I've decided to buckle down and finally read "Hitchhiker's Guide" this Summer. I made the mistake of listening to a "recommended books" report on NPR and have added a bunch of good-sounding ones to my amazon wishlist... after a nice literature break since the end of school I'm ready for good reading.
I am hoping... for good weather or at least good tarps for the camping trip! And for the skies to clear up for tonight's fire. And for good news for a good friend!
I am hearing... funny old-sounding narration of the film in a french accent, and tons of baby birds outside demanding to be fed.
Around the house... Scott puttering, cats sleeping, laundry lying about.
One of my favorite things... oh I should have put that thing about having enough food here. Well another one is Summer. I love Summer. And Scott, he's my favorite thing of all.
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
Another gathering with good friends tomorrow, Parish Picnic on Sunday, and lunch with a friend next week. Life is so good.
Here is picture thought I am sharing.

The aforementioned tent! Isn't she a beauty??

No comments: