Monday, April 09, 2007

perks

This weekend I got to take one of the perks of my job; I got to tell a parent how wonderful his kid is. We had both volunteered to do some of the set-up for the Easter Masses, and since his son wasn't there, he grabbed the opportunity to ask me... what is the deal with my kid being so involved in Youth Ministry? Is it the Holy Spirit, or is it the girls?
Although I had to admit that it was probably the girls who drew him to YM, but somewhere along the way the Holy Spirit had stepped in. I told him about how he reached out to the kids on retreats this year, about a great, insightful talk he gave at youth group one night... I told him how I had sat with his son at Mass and watched him seek out every kid from the Sophomore class who was present there, and made a real effort to touch base with all of them for the sign of peace. With every great thing I got to tell this Dad, he looked up at the sky with an amazed expression. He rubbed his chin and said "wo-o-o-owww". His eyebrows arched and he said "huh!" It was pretty cool.
It's such a blessing to be on the outside of families. I get to see the very best of kids, even while their parents suffer through the grunts and moans and whines and other frustrations of living together with their kids. I wish parents could see what I can see. It's a blessing to see it, and to tell the good news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume that this boy knows how pleased and proud of him YOU are.

(OK - so this is really stolen thoughts expressed by Her Majesty)
"Every teenager should have an adult who is always just thrilled to see them."

"HM" has three "Bad" girls in her confirmation class whom she simply adores and cherishes, and she lets them know it. They are sophmores who drink & smoke & sneak out at night - and they race excitedly to her van to say Hi when HM shows up at the school, and they can't wait to get invited to one of our marshmellow campfire singalongs, and they will comfortably confide their troubles to her.

Parents can't be and do everything for their children. It DOES take a village to raise a child. THANK GOD for terrific villagers like you and Her Majesty.

Anonymous said...

It is always a blessing to receive it, as a parent. Hearing good things about your grunty-whiny-confrontative teenager helps parents survive this phase of life. Do it every chance you get, Margo!