Sunday, March 11, 2007

for the love of pod

Just in case you're wondering, here are the podcasts I download regularly onto my ipod:
*60 Second Science, a daily one that really does last 60 seconds, is fascinating, and starts with a bitchen comet-sound that seems like it's orbiting your head.
*A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegone- just his news monologue, without all the silly music they play on the show. Okay, sometimes I like the music, but really I'm in it for the plays and the News.
*Weekend America- good one! It's two hours long so I never do get to hear all of it on the radio.
*Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing- this is a new one for me, brief and to the point, and always grammatically correct.
*Car Talk's Call of the Week- One good call. I like that! I don't download Cartalk because it is ubiquitous, playing constantly on the 3-5 PR stations that I have access to, so that by the end of any given weekend I've heard pretty much the whole show.
*NPR's Driveway Moments- they're the stories that you sit in your driveway to hear the end of, they're so good. I once sat in my car before work listening to one about how octopus (...pi?) can learn to open the screw tops on jars. Can you believe that??
*NPR Playback- brand new, I haven't even listened to one yet- they're stories from the archives, and the first 6 I downloaded are from the early 80's. Should be interesting, no?
*NPR Story of the Day- "the one story NPR's editors think you won't want to miss!" So far, they've been right!
*This I believe- quick little essays written by everybodies, about what they believe, or believe in.
*Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! NPR's news quiz and my absolute favorite NPR show.
*Slate Explainer Podcasts- explaining interesting things like "How do clothes wrinkle?" and "was Britney's hair full of drugs?"
*This American Life- my other absolute favorite NPR show.
* WNYC's Radio Lab- best science show EVER!!!! Very, VERY cool. New season coming up soon, and I can't wait!
Happy listening!

1 comment:

HerMajesty00 said...

"Driveway moments" I love that. Margo to me your blog is like 'driveway moments'. Even if I am in a rush and have things to do and my computer is going soooooo slow; I have to make sure I check out your blog to read the latest thing. You are my driveway moment:>)