Saturday, February 09, 2013

Simple Woman's Day Book: Blizzard of 2013 Edition


Simple Woman's Day Book
FOR TODAY 2/9/13...


Outside My Window...
it's still snowing and blowing, as it has been for over 24 hours now. We have over two feet of snow, lots more in some places and lots less in others, due to the blustering wind. Our plow guy has come (thanks, landlord!) but we went out to shovel out the cars and porch. It's fluffy snow, but I wouldn't call it "light"- in fact, the farther you dig, the denser it gets. I know my back will be sorry later.
I am thinking... about the way Facebook has changed everything, including the way we experience snowstorms now. We stayed fully connected throughout, posting pictures and seeing our friends' babies standing as height indicators in front of snow drifts. Everyone had pictures posted by the time I woke up this morning. I got a message from my childhood next-door-neighbor, checking in on us. I really like being a part of Facebook, even if I know I'm being manipulated by the media marketing machine.
I am thankful for... the fact that we have not lost power, and that we got all our groceries in before the storm started in earnest. I'm thankful to have Scott to wait out the storm with. I'm thankful to have a warm home and an electric blanket and snuggly kittens. Thankful that my family is okay and that no one has to go shovel out my parents' driveway.
From the kitchen... yesterday I gambled that the power would stay on and cooked an oven-stuffer-roaster chicken in the crock pot for 8 hours (just put half a stick of butter and an onion in there with it). In the end it was so luscious, moist and falling off the bone. I pulled out two cups of juice out and froze them for future use, and today I'll make chicken salad or something with it. OH yum. I also made coconut flour blueberry muffins, which were pretty good but definitely had a coconut meal kind of consistency, which if you like coconut, probably wouldn't be bad.
I am wearing... pajamas, natch. But for a while I was all geared up in lots of layers, mittens, hat, boots... you know, all you need. By the time we were done, I was sweating! Now I'm cozy and ready for a nap.
I am creating... hm, not much at the moment, outside of clear paths through the snow. Oh and a bad back.
I am going... to take a nap and keep pumping Aleve. We're not allowed, actually, to go anywhere, as there is a travel ban until 4:00 this afternoon.
I am reading... Still reading Forming Intentional Disciples, just finished SUM (you've gotta read it), sometimes I dip into I Wasn't Dead When I Wrote This, and the book my brother gave me I Am (oh shoot, I can't remember the girl's name... I'm having trouble getting into it but still plugging along)...
I am hoping... for another snow day tomorrow! I should be having cabin fever and getting anxious to get back to work but I do love a snow day. Well, let's just call it win-win either way. We were supposed to have GOF on Friday, and Scott and I were to run a retreat today. Tomorrow, GOF again. I guess we'll see!
I am hearing... snowblowers! I thought the other day that the sound of plows is one of my favorite sounds. They sound just like they did when I was a kid. It's the sound of FREEDOM my friends!!!
Around the house... the usual, snoozing cats. Good food, ready to eat.
One of my favorite things... Oh, I answered this already, didn't I?
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
Lent starts this week!! How is that possible? I've got some cool plans for Lent this year, and it's my favorite season. So many opportunities for ministry, for connections, for renewal. I think it's going to be a good one.
Here is picture thought I am sharing. Token snow shot!




1 comment:

margmor said...

Charlotte Simms! I am Charlotte Simms!

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Charlotte-Simmons-Novel/dp/B002KE45XC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360456935&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=I+am+charlotte+simms