Saturday, February 25, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY 2/25/12
Outside My Window... the wind is blowing like crazy. Scott has taken the curtains down from the living room windows to wash them, so I have a great view of the bare branches bobbing around in this crazy wind. New neighbors are moving in upstairs, so I can hear them chatting and bumping things around. Under the leaves that cover our little gardens, I know there are green shoots coming up- and there are some nice buds on our lilac tree. Spring is battling it out with Winter, and my vote is with Spring. Go Spring!
I am thinking... about the Church- Today John Moe tweeted this: "I know I love public radio: I often find it infuriating, I'm often deeply fond, I always want to change it. I'm never indifferent." I can relate! I find this Church so frustrating and discouraging, and full of hope. I love it and I hate it, and want to stay and want to go. It's a tortured love affair.
I am thankful for... my spiritual director! This woman, who I found through a dear friend, has helped me hang in there for several years now. She points me back to prayer, to conversation with God. She has great insights into my spiritual nature that can pull me back from the brink of real despair. She is a cheerleader and comforter, and I can't help but wonder where my faith would be without her after all this time.
From the kitchen... I'm simmering chili in the crockpot! Yum!
I am wearing... pa-jamas. Natch. But to be fair, I'm fighting off a little cold, so you know what they say: swaddle a cold.
I am creating... not much. I'm between drafts of my grad project, and in the meantime, I'm journaling a lot, after a long time of not writing about things that were going on, since I couldn't blog about it all. But last night I worked with the rest of our staff to create some delicious soup and a good night of fellowship at the parish. We started Soup and Stations as a way to bring people together during Lent, and encourage participation in the stations of the cross, and to help parish ministry groups promote their work. Each year since we've started, the staff has kicked off the first night, and it's always fun. This year we were without our dear friend Anna, who used to bring the "pickies" (snacks) that we'd eat while we cook, along with some good wine. And our pastor, who usually stirs and entertains us, is away on sabbatical. I love this program, and our staff, and the people who came to eat and pray. And the soup we made (Scott and me, that is) was the best. Here's the recipe.
I am going... ton a silent retreat. I've never been on one before (silent, that is) and I'm both looking forward to it, and dreading it. I've been doing a pretty strong job at not listening to God very closely, so I'm a little worried about a whole weekend of silence. At the same time, I feel a lot like it's an island I'm swimming to. I imagine that as soon as I get there, I'll sit down and take a deep breath, and really revel in the solitude (all the while missing Scotty). It's hard to know how it will be, but I'm game.
I am reading... I'm between books! I just finished the Hunger Games series, and that last book is a tough one- really brutal. I actually put it down for a few weeks, but wanted to finish it and get it over with. I am looking forward to the movie, but am wondering if/how they'll portray the third. Wow. I'm ready for some lighter reading. I did just buy Still by Lauren Winner. Might be good retreat reading...
I am hoping... this cold wears off quickly. Maybe I should do another dose of emergen-c. I slept about 12 hours last night, was in bed at 9:30. This is very unusual for me, but I needed it, bad. And I could use a nap.
I am hearing... wind. Lots and lots of wind.
Around the house... Scott is preparing to paint the living room. He has self-diagnosed cabin fever. I'll be sequestered to the bedroom once he starts, which is okay, because... I need a nap.
One of my favorite things... is the pair of slippers I'm wearing right now. Scott and I bought them for each other, matching pairs in different colors, the year we got married. They have our initials on them! And the bottoms are so worn that they're shiny. I've gone to and through new pairs of slippers since these came into my life, (including a yummy warm fleecy pair my sisters gave me and I wore out) but I love these slippers.
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: archdiocesan pastoral planning stuff, meetings, and lots of lenten stuff. Tis the season.
Here is picture thought I am sharing:
the aforementioned shoots! Hooray for Spring!

No comments: