Thursday, March 17, 2011

Call now to pledge.

I didn't see much of the news today, even as I have been glued to it lately to follow the situations in Libya and Japan, and everywhere. It seems like a particularly doomy time in the world. But today I was spending time with my Mother and Scott, while my brothers were with my Dad, who was waiting all day and then enduring a cardiac catheterization. Mom had been sick and was dehydrated, and we were charged with getting her to eat and drink throughout the day, and keep her company while she (and we) worried about my Dad. The day was filled with looking for chores to do, walking Mom to the bathroom and back, and terrible, terrible pledge programming on PBS.
The news from the catheterization was less than stellar, but not completely doomy, so we are all letting it sink in and processing it in our own ways. I'm learning about myself and how I handle stress through all this, and today I learned how to make fish chowder (it's not hard!) and re-affirmed that I am not going to quit my day job and look for one in elder care; that is, it's not my gift. We did get her eating soup and drinking water, and not to fall down today, so I guess that's good, but all day I've felt like a bit of a bumbler, fish-out-of-water, not knowing what to do with my hands, that kind of thing. Being the caretaker means being a good soldier, too, and not meeting Mom on her way out of the bathroom with teary eyes and swollen lips (my lips swell when I cry. It's not pretty). I want to let Mom deal with this new reality in whatever way she needs to, even if it steps on my way of dealing with it. I reckon I'll process it all through on the way home, later.
Seriously, though, what is the deal with these PBS pledge shows? First there was a tribute to 50's music, with old people singing their old hits- some looked pretty good, but some of them? Wow, they look like they're straight out of the wax museum. That's not charitable. They still have their voices, I'll say that for them, at least the ones who were obviously mic'd and not obviously lip-syncing. But they sing for two minutes, then the viewer must endure 20-odd minutes of people harping at you to pledge, backed by people who are clearly using ten-year-old computers. This was a RE-RUN!!!!
And don't even get me started about Celtic Thunder. They are not fooling anyone under 70- there is no way that crowd was full of real fans, it was more like one of those info-mercial audiences, filled with ringers: "WILL! IT! CHOP!?" My mother swooned over the youngest one, which is a little disturbing but you know what? Attagirl.
Now we're all in bed, gathering strength for tomorrow and whatever that brings. I'm not great at seeing my Dad as anything less than virile, so I will have to pinch my earlobes and be cheery when he comes home. So many things changing in life right now- in the world and in our corner of it. Saturday we celebrate the patron saint of our marriage, Joseph, and will lean on him a bit harder in the coming months. St. Joseph, protector of families; pray for us!

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Hey dont be dissin' my Celtic Thunder. 4 days a week I have to watch their DVDs because the little special girl I do PCA for loves them. I did not beleive her mother at first. I figured mom liked it and just said daughter did and since daughter is mute she could not disagree. But i was wrong. She knows every song, every sound efffect, and i think she swoons when George (the baldy) guy comes on.... That child loves the kilts loves the bagpipes and loves every song, over and over again:>)
Just wanted to make you smile Margo. You do not need to post. Prayers for you and yours.

HerMajesty00 said...

Hey dont be dissin' my Celtic Thunder. 4 days a week I have to watch their DVDs because the little special girl I do PCA for loves them. I did not beleive her mother at first. I figured mom liked it and just said daughter did and since daughter is mute she could not disagree. But i was wrong. She knows every song, every sound efffect, and i think she swoons when George (the baldy) guy comes on.... That child loves the kilts loves the bagpipes and loves every song, over and over again:>)
Just wanted to make you smile Margo. You do not need to post. Prayers for you and yours.