Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day 2, briefly because I'm tired.

Today we finished up the Discipleship practices, and started looking at personal and family milestones as opportunities for catechesis and evangelization. We divided up the life stages of a person and looked at how we could program in our ministries to help people connect these stages and milestones to their faith life and God's presence and action in their lives. We worked hard on that all day, and came up with some pretty brilliant (if I may say so) ideas for programming.
But one other important thing I learned today was that if I had to drive to work like that every day, through traffic like I do to get to the Institute, I would seriously consider destitution and homelessness as a viable alternative. I want the names and numbers of whoever coordinates the traffic lights in the Cambridge area, because they should be forced to sit in traffic there daily until they rectify the situation. The institute is around 30 miles from my home, and it took me an hour and a half to get there on Monday. Today I left 15 minutes earlier and got there 15 minutes LATER than yesterday. Egad.

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Life stages and faith stages makes sense to me... but I want details. While you are doing nothing but sitting in traffic for an hour and a half maybe you could pen a few notes?
;>)

Anonymous said...

Apparently Civil Engineers (or who-ever engineers traffic flows) are not the best & brightest branch of engineering. At the new shops & interchange in Plymouth at the newly extended Rt44 they have 3 lanes of traffic - 2 turn left onto the on-ramp (where of course they merge with one from the other direction which means 3 lanes merge on a curved ramp), 1 goes straight onto a 2-lane section of road, and there are 4 traffic lights hanging over the road (well, one is more like over the sidewalk). Even students who squeeked by with all "C's" got their degrees and then jobs.

Lucky us!